[sdiy] MS-20 psu conversion from 100V to 240V

Stewart Pye stewpye at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 21 10:17:45 CEST 2012

Hi Andy,

With a 15 volt secondary there is the chance of the unregulated voltage
being too low, so the regulator will drop out of regulation. This is why
I said you could change the regulators for low dropout type if
necessary. Where I live the voltage never goes below 240V so it would
probably be OK.

Others have said that the regulators in the MS20 don't get too hot so
you may be better off using a transformer with 18V secondaries, that way
the drop out voltage won't be a problem. It would be a good idea to
change the filter caps to 35V as Oscar mentioned. If you change the
filter caps and fit the 18V transformer the worst thing that can happen
is the regulators will get too hot and go into thermal shut down. You
won't kill the synth. Maybe go with that one.

You will have to change the fuse to a slow blow type and lower value
depending on the transformer you use.

I live in Brisbane. The company I work for purchases some components
from Altronics wholesale.

Regards,
Stewart.