[sdiy] Negative voltage references

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sun May 20 03:34:16 CEST 2012

I use 79L05 all the time for -5V regulation, particularly with linearized
2164 VCA circuits.  It works great.  Those will source up to 100 mA (but
they do get pretty warm at that current).  I only use bandgap references in
VCO circuits.  I've never used the big 7905s (the ones with the big hunk of
metal on the side) so I can't comment on those.  The 79L05 comes in a TO-92
package.

What's it for, anyway?