[sdiy] Negative voltage references

Justin Owen juzowen at gmail.com
Sat May 19 19:16:44 CEST 2012

>What do people do for negative voltage references?

Hey Tom,

I recently spent some time looking at Vrefs that were 'a bit better than a voltage divider off the rails' and settled on the LM336 which will give you a 5V ref (plus a single resistor) - but can also be flipped to provide a negative Vref.

Ideally, anything you hang off it will need to be via an op amp buffer.

I have a schem here somewhere showing both configs - let me know and I can upload it if you want.

Farnell part numbers: 1468824 (TO-92) & 1564654 (8SOIC).

...having said that - the board I'm working on at the moment, I needed a 2.5V and a -2.5V ref and it turned out to be  more efficient to have a single LM336 providing buffered + refs and inverting - refs.

HTH, YMMV, etc.

Justin