[sdiy] CV mixer trouble

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Wed May 16 18:11:01 CEST 2012

> I'd say using the power supply rails might be OK if you ~own~
> the rails (like you say you do, Tom...) Then you always know
> what is connected and how stable and clean they are.
>
> The MOOG ROGUE uses its +/- 12V for VCO references...
>
> Other than that, its a really bad idea. I don't ever use the
> rails of my own system, even to drive
> the pots on the front panel :^)   Precision references are
> not very expensive these days.

I recently changed my thinking on this issue, opting for proper references,
on VCOs at least.  I find it interesting that Paul Schreiber uses the rails
as references in his MOTM VCOs (or, at least, he did), and he prides himself
on his careful and accurate designs.  Of course, this is predicated on
having a decent power supply, and not overtaxing it with too many modules.