[sdiy] OT( installing PICKIT2 drivers on OSX)

Thomas Strathmann thomas at pdp7.org
Tue May 8 09:33:36 CEST 2012

On 08.05.12 03:01, dan snazelle wrote:
> I finally seem to have figured out that I need to install the PICKIT 2 drivers before I can use the PICKIT2 with mplab-x
>
> however, all it is is a DAT file and a hex file and some instructions on using the terminal to install the files.
>
> i am not very comfortable with TERMINAL and the way that MICROCHIP wrote it, well let me just say that it doesnt make me feel like I am going to get it to work.

The best way is to try things out (hey, if something goes terribly,
terribly wrong, you've got Time Machine to save the day). But if you are
not comfortable with using a shell to install stuff, then perhaps you
should really tackle that problem first (fun exercise, try to switch
Terminal.app to fullscreen and don't leave it for a week or so). I see
no reason using Mac OS for development stuff in the embedded domain
unless you really are comfortable with the Unixy stuff (i.e. shell,
building from sources, etc.) in the first place. The way it seems from
over here under my rock (I use Mac OS myself, almost exclusively so),
the grass is greener on the Windows side of town regarding the ease of
installing development tools.

	Thomas