[sdiy] Negative voltage references

Olivier Gillet ol.gillet at gmail.com
Sat May 19 17:37:41 CEST 2012

If you don't need more than +/- 5% precision and, you can simply use a
Zener. 4.7V or 5.1V have nearly null temperature coefficients. I use
1N5230B. This kind of precision is OK for getting a negative offset
voltage for a VCF - in a CV scaler for a SSM2164 for example. Just
make sure the resistor is low enough and that at least 1mA is flowing
through the diode - otherwise it won't reach the Zener voltage.

I think shunt voltage references can be used as negative references
too. Just tried wiring a LM4040 backwards and it worked. Not
explicitly mentioned in the LM4040 datasheet, but I've already seen
that in the datasheet of other shunt references like the ADR540B.

Olivier