[sdiy] Restoring "feel" on pots?

DTK aurastar at cox.net
Wed May 16 01:00:21 CEST 2012

A friend of mine brought me a Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer (Mk 1) to take a look
at.  His initial complaint was that the pots and sliders had lost their
"feel".  I figured this was just due to age, but I agreed to take a look and
see if there was anything I could do.

Before I even opened it up, the thing reeked of some sort of solvent.  When
I asked him about it, he told me that he had some scratchy pots, and he
sprayed a couple of them with cleaner.  It apparently solved the
scratchiness, but now the action on the pots is not as smooth as it used to
be - he said they were "loose" and not as smooth as they used to be.

Upon opening it up, it became clear that he sprayed EVERYTHING... every
knob, every slider, and got a lot of overspray all over the boards in the
process.  He used something he found at Radio Shack - MG Chemicals  Nu-Trol
Control Cleaner, which was apparently recommended by one of the rat shack
minions.

Any suggestions on what I may be able to do to restore these pots?  I've
never heard of the product he used, but it obviously destroyed the internal
lubrication.

What about the overspray?  Alcohol?  Or should I just leave it be?  It seems
pretty oily, and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get it off just for
cleanliness reasons.  It doesn't seem to be conductive - the mixer works
fine, even with it all over the boards.

If anyone has any tips they would be much appreciated - otherwise, I'm just
going to give it back and tell him he's lucky it still works.

Thanks!

DTK