[sdiy] There is no fun analogue chips anymore!.. Analog IC's..

Andre Majorel aym-htnys at teaser.fr
Fri Jun 29 09:41:31 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-28 22:23 +0100, Tom Wiltshire wrote:
> On 28 Jun 2012, at 20:28, Ingo Debus wrote:
>
> > How long was that time span for the CEM chips? Five to eight
> > years?
>
> And how long have 56000-compatible DSPs been around? 25 years?

I think you are both looking at the exceptions to avoid seeing
the rule.

Analogue components generally live longer than DSP components
if only because S/N ratio doesn't double every 18 months like
transistor count does. When they go, it's not as bad because
they are more likely to have a second source. And when the last
source goes, you have a better chance of finding a drop-in
replacement.

Rapid obsolescence is not a big problem for people like Scott
who make one-offs. It is for people who would like to build
their designs a few years later when the evaluation board they
used is gone. It is for people who sell bare PCB. And for anyone
who might want to repair those devices down the road.