[sdiy] There is no fun analogue chips anymore!

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Thu Jun 28 21:26:21 CEST 2012

On 28/06/12 20:16, Pete Hartman wrote:
> So I have displayed my ignorance publicly again :-)
>
> Thanks for the pointers.  Glad to see it's not as complicated as I had
> thought from some long past exposure to things like "flowing solder
> with a toaster oven".
>
> Pete

http://www.gjcp.net/~gordonjcp/capacitor.jpg

That was taken with a cheapy USB microscope.  It's an 0.1μF ceramic
capacitor in a Kenwood HT, part of the mic preamp, and like all little
ceramic caps prone to going leaky if there's a DC voltage across them -
like, uh, the preamp bias voltage.  The replacement in the picture was
hand-soldered, cleaned up with some flux cleaner, and you'd hardly tell
it had been touched.  I used a fairly pointy soldering iron tip and some
tweezers that I'd reshaped a little to be better at picking up tiny
grain-of-sugar components.  I didn't use the USB microscope because it
is too "laggy" to update.

Now, I don't need glasses, but I'm 38 and I can tell my eyesight isn't
as sharp as it was ten years ago ;-)

It's not that hard...

--
Gordonjcp MM0YEQ