[sdiy] There is no fun analogue chips anymore!

John Alex Hvidlykke john at hvidlykke.dk
Thu Jun 28 08:29:08 CEST 2012

Nice Coolaudio folks! Looking at their web site can bring tears to a grown
man's eyes ;-)
Cheers
John

> I'd bet that the analog synth market is nothing to the chip makers.
> Looking at most commercial products today they're digital. That's why
> most of the stuff we like is going away.

Yes, but Coolaudio is now effectively the sole source supplier for many of
these chips, so they are obviously fulfilling a niche market, and I think
that ensures that they'll be doing this for a while yet.  I mean, they are
selling BBD chips, for crying out loud!  There are absolutely NO
applications for BBD chips outside of obsolete analog delay pedals and such.
Hence, supplying these obsolete chips to greybeards such as ourselves seems
to be their business model, so I'm not too worried.