[sdiy] Rack mounting Synergy -- best practice for rack mounting mods?

Dale Marvin dmarv at dop.com
Wed Jun 27 09:09:55 CEST 2012

On 6/26/2012 11:30 PM, Lanterman, Aaron wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2012, at 1:54 AM, Dale Marvin wrote:
>> I installed a number of these back in the day and had problems with them coming loose out in the field from the very beginning.
>> The ultimate solution was to remove the sockets and solder the pins to the motherboard.
> Yeah, I'd reckon that was so... I can't imagine what Digital Keyboards was thinking when they did that. So much of the rest of the unit is so well thought out, and then that's so sloppy...
It was all an after-thought due to poor marketing IMHO. I think the 
programmable Yamaha DX instruments  put pressure on them to do it. In 
the end most musicians were not into the Kaypro editing interface which 
was all text based, turn a knob on the Synergy and the numbers on the 
screen change etc.

It was also very easy to overload the machine dynamically, causing a 
most heinous distortion, and CPU wise with the complex envelopes which 
interrupt the CPU each time a new slope needs to be set, I had built up 
some patches that would bog down under full polyphony such that I could 
hit a cord and have my hands off the board before the sounds could all 
get out the machine.


More information about the Synth-diy mailing list