[sdiy] Rebel Technology: Stoicheia

Scott Nordlund gsn10 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 22:00:00 CEST 2012

> Cool stuff! Nice to see something new being released.
>
> Interesting papers linked at the website if you dig around.
>
> Scott, I'd be interested in hearing your piece.>> -Dave>
The Euclidean rhythm papers got some mild buzz on forums and blogs lately, but I hadn't seen a lot of evidence of people actually using them. It's nice to see it in a modular format, as the usual analog sequencer really sort of hits a wall when it comes to this kind of thing. The chained mode in that module is a great idea: what can get a little annoying about these patterns is that they're inherently sort of homogenous. I don't know if it's practical, but it would be nice to also have voltage control (or some other form of automation) of the pattern length, etc.
Here's my piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4t5B6nPQGg
Relevant to this topic, every event is triggered by a Euclidean sequence driven by a clock divider, as I described previously. I think there are 12 of these. There are some other random events that switch the pattern lengths, etc. between several pre-determined values. The synths and effect processors are all made from scratch, but it's fairly basic stuff. The tonal part of it is another can of worms entirely. I'd like to describe that at some point, but I think it's not really synth-diy material. Probably questions should be directed to me off list (or change the subject line if you think it will interest anyone else).