[sdiy] Rebel Technology: Stoicheia

Scott Nordlund gsn10 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 19:42:46 CEST 2012

> I just posted this on muff's -
>
> Announcing a new Eurorack module maker, Rebel Technology, and the open source, open hardware, algorithmic sequencer Stoicheia:
>
> http://www.rebeltech.org/2012/06/euclidean-sequencer-published/
>
> If you happen to be in Berlin you can find it in Schneider's shop.
> In London you can visit us at Rebel HQ.
>
> Enjoy, and have fun!
>
> /m

That's nice. I'm glad the Euclidean rhythm stuff is getting some attention. I've been using it lately too (in software). I've found it's perhaps most useful to drive everything from a single (highly composite) counter, and then derive the clocks to multiple euclidean sequencers from a clock "divide by n" (i.e. modulus of the counter value) and offset (added to the counter value before the modulus), then length/fills/start point (as used in the module). The reason for driving it all from the highly composite counter is that it all stays synchronized as you mess with the clock divide settings. If it's a mod 1260 (for example) counter, you can divide by 5 or 7 or 9 or whatever. You can get all sorts of polyrhythm type stuff and not worry about it going weird when you change something. I have a recent piece that uses this extensively, but I don't really want to hijack the thread...