[sdiy] best ways of portable +/- supply

Colin Hinz lists at meccanion.com
Wed Jun 13 16:23:00 CEST 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, dan snazelle wrote:

> does anyone have opinions on the best way to get plus and minus
> rails into a portable synth/noisenaker/stompbox type project
> WITHOUT using an on board transformer?

I handrolled an external power supply. I went a little nuts, though,
and built something which would not only provide +/- 12 but allow
me to do away with nearly a dozen other wallwarts.

It's not particularly small, and it is relatively heavy, but far
easier to deal with than a whole box of wallwarts:

http://circuits.meccanion.com/2012/04/mopsu-oopsie.html

I've also used this to power synth circuits. It's not cheap, but
very rugged (powered by pedal-driven generator, it could handle
9 to 36 V input):

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/VAWQ3-Q24-D12H/102-1314-ND/949719

- Colin