[sdiy] rigol scope fan noise!!

Ingo Debus igg.debus at t-online.de
Sun Jun 10 16:42:35 CEST 2012

Am 09.06.2012 um 17:00 schrieb Scott Gravenhorst:

>  I would NEVER just disconnect a fan on any commercial
> equipment.  The engineers don't put parts into a device that are not _required_.

An exception to that rule was probably the Atari Falcon. It had a tiny but very loud fan. It always seemed to me that they added the fan just to make clear that Ataris finally are professional computers too, now that they have a fan like IBM PCs ;-)

Anyway, I had removed the fan and the Falcon still worked fine. Nothing became hot. I had removed some of the sheet metal shielding of the PCB too though. Maybe the fan was required when the shielding still was in place?

There was a time when vacuum cleaners were designed to be loud so that people would think they were powerful...

Ingo