[sdiy] Voice assignment algorithms

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Sat Jun 9 21:48:39 CEST 2012

Paul Maddox <yo at vacoloco.net> wrote:
>>> Quick question: supposing your system supports 8 voices (8-note
>>> polyphony), how would you handle the 9th NOTE ON?  And more
>>> interestingly, the 9th NOTE OFF message?
>
>It depends :)
>some people would "steal" the first note played and use it for the ninth.
>Some will ignore the 9th,
>Some will have an "overflow" so the 9th note would go out the MIDI OUT
>connector.

And another:  In my PolyDaWG synth (a Karplus-Strong 8 voice), the controller will
re-strike a string that has recently been used for the same pitch.  Otherwise it's
"steal the oldest ringing note" when all 8 are in use and a 9th comes in.

-- ScottG
-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- FPGA MIDI Synth Info: jovianpyx.dyndns.org:8080/public/FPGA_synth/
-- FatMan Mods Etc.: jovianpyx.dyndns.org:8080/public/fatman/
-- Some Random Electronics Bits: jovianpyx.dyndns.org:8080/public/electronics/