[sdiy] Opinion poll - Through Hole ~vs~ SMT

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Sat Jun 9 04:07:33 CEST 2012

Quoth Altitude at 09/06/12 10:23...
> Personally, I'd say 0805 is big enough to do by eye, 0603 is pushing it with
> wire type solder.  I much prefer SMT parts, faster, cleaner, less work.

I've actually found 0603 to be slightly easier to handle than 0805, may
just be a good size match to my pointy tweezers. As regards wire, I
apply the solder to the iron, then to the component, rather than
bringing the three into conjunction as in "traditional" soldering. LOTS
of flux. (I use an Electrolube no-clean flux pen.)

I only use magnification for inspection after soldering, but good light
is essential.

--
Matthew Smith

Business: http://www.smiffytech.com