[sdiy] Opinion poll - Through Hole ~vs~ SMT

James Patchell patchell at cox.net
Thu Jun 7 22:46:24 CEST 2012

Now that I have very limited vision, Vacuum Tubes are more the size of
things I prefer ;^)

Seriously, if I would need to stuff parts, I would prefer through hole,
although, I still haven't had the guts to actually attempt any soldering
in the recent couple of years.

However, I am not opposed to surface mount components.  In fact, most of
the micro controllers that one would want to use that is the only way
they come.  In the past for prototyping,, I would get a breakout board
with the IC already mounted on it from someplace like sparkfun.

So if you are going to do boards with surface mount, have then available
with the parts already mounted might be good for those of use who are
SMT challenged in some way.

-Jim