[sdiy] Opinion poll - Through Hole ~vs~ SMT

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Thu Jun 7 22:33:57 CEST 2012

Quoth Harry Bissell at 07/06/12 23:15...
> What technology would you like to see new DIY projects in (as in PCBs you would stuff yourself)
>
> SMT or Through-hole ?

For my own designs, I use SMT for everything except:

* Parts not available in SMT.
* Off-board connectors that might encounter any significant force.
* Components that need to dissipate heat. (I'm not up for designing
heatsinks using the copper planes of the board.)

Although I'm something of a wheel re-inventor so, if using someone
else's design, would tend to design my own boards from the schematic. (I
actually enjoy laying out boards in Eagle, masochist that I am.)

--
Matthew Smith

Business: http://www.smiffytech.com
Blog:     http://www.smiffysplace.com