[sdiy] Christmas Projects - first results

Florian Anwander fanwander at mnet-online.de
Thu Dec 27 10:32:46 CET 2012

Am 21.12.2012 12:38, schrieb Florian Anwander:
> Repair a JP4 where one voice card sometimes does not react on pulswidth
> control - assumingly a loose connector solder joint on the main board (I
> will do this definitely, becauser that is a paid task)
Done :-)

This was ugly: it was not the pulswidth itself, but the saw (from which
the pulswidth signal is derived) was not a saw but a spiked saw, which
was caused by a broken CD4052.
The JP4 (like the SH-7) uses a VCO, which covers only the range of the
keyboard + the bender, but not the full range including the keyboard
transpose switch and the VCO octave switching. The latter functions are
achieved by dividers after the initial VCO. The divided core frequency
triggers a waveform shaper. For each octave setting the current, which
feeds this shaper, is controlled by different resistors which again are
switched via the mentioned CD4052. This 4052 had all gates shorted for
the X-half of its switches (the 4052s Y-half still worked). So the saw
shaper got much too much current and the saw was too short for the
frequency. Which again led to a very narrow pulse wave.