[sdiy] Fast envelope generation

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Tue Dec 18 20:06:42 CET 2012

Gentlemen,

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, but it looks like everyone is trying way, way too hard to do something very simple.  So, Gordon, could you restate the problem a little more clearly and completely?

It sounds to me that you're trying to digitally simulate the exponential RC curves that go from one step to another in an ADSR.  Is that right?  And that the exponential calculation is expensive on the device you are using.  Is that right?

And Tom, is your approach to the problem a lookup table for the curve?

Note that the ADDSR rise and fall curves aren't intentionally exponential; it's a side effect of the way an RC circuit charges and discharges.  As the voltage on a cap rises, the difference between the source voltage and the cap voltage is less, and thus the charging current through the resistor is less, so the voltage rises slower.  Repeat.  So all you really need to do is duplicate that process: on each iteration take the difference between the source voltage and cap voltage, scale that by the time constant, and add that to the cap voltage each time.

Or am I missing something?

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman