[sdiy] Headphone amps using op-amps

Veronica Merryfield veronica at merryfield.ca
Thu Dec 13 02:42:39 CET 2012

On 2012-12-12, at 1:23 PM, Tom Wiltshire <tom at electricdruid.net> wrote:
> Ok, that sounds reasonable. So I could add a '4556 wired as a voltage follower to the output of the amp I've got presently and buffer it. How much resistance do you use, Veronica? Would a couple of hundred ohms do it, or do I need more?
> Finally, what about the levels? How much juice can I use before the headphones start to overdrive?

47ohm usually. Put a volume control before hand to control.

If you are expecting low impedance headphones, then 70mA from the 4556 won't be enough, but I don't think there are too many of those around - never had anyone say anything. If you are using low impedance phones, then you'll need an output stage of one of the TDA series stereo amps.

Which raises the question, are many using low ohm cans? My Sennheisers are about 160ohm.