[sdiy] Multiple oscillator detuning

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Sun Dec 9 23:44:09 CET 2012

Hi All,

I'm currently playing with a chip generating multiple oscillators, detuned into a big fat cloud of sound. I've got that working. It's a big fat cloud. Now I'm working on the niceties - making it sound really good.

Now, it seems to me that there's a *lot* of ways you could do detuning. I've got 5 oscillators, so I've got a a few options.
For a start, I could either use linear detuning (Hertz) or exponential (cents). I could detune each oscillator by some ratio to the others, or I could detune by some prime number to avoid any ratio between the oscillators.

The detuning itself is scaled by a "Detune Amount" control, so any variation can be pushed from zero up to some upper limit. That adds another query - how much detune is reasonable? I suppose various "rave hoover" sounds suggest the answer to that one is "more than you think is reasonable!"

Has anyone played with this kind of thing and got any advice to offer?

Thanks,
Tom