[sdiy] OP275 [was: Re: Audio mixers]

Tim Ressel madhun2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 15:27:58 CEST 2011

There are 3 kinds of engineers: the ones who have some skill and go to college
to increase that skill, those who have skill and skip the degree path (yours
truly), and those who have no skill at all and go to college to get some. I have
worked with all three, and it's the last one that scares me. These folks never
really gain a true understanding of the way things work. They just recite the
mantras they learned in class, and rest on the legitimacy their degree buys
them.

And don't forget: the guy who finished last in his class still got a degree.

And then there's good ol' bias. Some folk latch on to an idea or opinion, wrap
it with that arrogance they seem to soak up while exposed to academia, and will
not budge from their position no matter how hard you hit them in the head. I
once did battle with a Cal Tech grad who didn't get the concept of forced air
cooling. He thought you could suck air out of a rack and somehow generate air
flow throughout the rack. No amount of logic or reasoning would sway this guy. I
even reversed the fans so they blew air into the rack, thus causing the needed
air flow and solving the cooling issue. Wouldn't you know it, he was thrilled
until he found out about the fans. He dutifully put the fans back to the
"correct" orientation and resumed his work to solve the cooling problem. He
"knew" the fans were correct and the problem must therefore be somewhere else.

You see, I was just a non-degreed tech at the time. Never mind that I kept
finding and solving design issues with his product.

Bottom line: it takes all kinds. I've been wrong enough times and have been
humbled by circuits enough times to know that mine is just one opinion, and it
may very well be wrong.

--TimR