[sdiy] Audio mixers

David G. Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Thu Jun 16 22:11:32 CEST 2011

> Another question I should have put in my first email.  If I am using a
> switch to remove a particular input from the mix, route it
> somewhere else
> etc, what is the proper way to handle the open ended wire
> when the switch
> is "off"?  Just leave it open?  Connect it to ground?  Thanks again!

It doesn't really matter, I don't think.  Most summer inputs are open when
nothing is plugged into their respective jacks, unless grounded switching
jacks are used, but these are expensive and fiddly, and therefore typically
not used unless truly required for normalling.  On the other hand, grounding
an input to a summer is akin to doing nothing at all, since ground emits no
current.  Either way, no current is fed through that input.  I'd say, do
whatever is the most convenient.

Others may disagree.