[sdiy] PWM or DAC better for audio out?

Olivier Gillet ol.gillet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 19:54:35 CEST 2011

> I still like DACs better, if there are sound output issues, it's difficult blame the output circuit
> and there's no fiddly analog filter to mess with.

Depends on what kind of DACs you use. Some "all in one" audio codec
chips have the reconstruction filter built-in.

Simpler general purpose DACs -- which are designed to run at any
refresh frequency -- have no reconstruction filters, so you still need
some filtering to smooth the "staircases" in the output to remove
frequency components above the Nyquist frequency. But they are much
weaker than the HF components you get out of PWM.