[sdiy] Velocity Sensitive Pads

Veronica Merryfield veronica at merryfield.ca
Sun Jun 19 01:41:30 CEST 2011

The linn 9000's graphite sensor is an early form of FSR. Graphite performs ok in this application but it has a nasty habit of settling under load such that for a constant load the resistant will change. Many FSR materials will do this but to a lesser extent than graphite.

The innovator behind sensitronics is the same guy behind the Linn sensor.

The feel is a combination of the material over the FSR than you hit/touch/etc and the strike response of the FSR and electronics. It's not an easy thing to get right. Until recently the exact material that was used on the Linn has not been available but one has been found. So far few products have started using it.

If you wander over to the sensitronics web site and take a look round you might find a familiar name :) Hint :- http://www.sensitronics.com/about_us.htm