[sdiy] Talking of Q

Ian Fritz ijfritz at comcast.net
Sat Jun 18 04:55:24 CEST 2011

At 06:04 AM 6/17/2011, Justin Owen wrote:
> [...]

A practical limitation is that the Q of a filter usually has a significant
variation with frequency. This shows up as a high-frequency Q enhancement
and is caused by opamp nonidealities. This can be compensated for, but only
up to a point.  The stability also depends on the filter topology.

If your filter will oscillate then it can have infinite Q.  But the more
important thing to look at is how stable the high-Q state is, especially
with respect to frequency variations.

A handy factiod to remember is that the the Q can be calculated by looking
at the ringdown time after pulse excitation.  Q is pi times the number of
cycles it takes to ring down by a factor of 1/e.

   Ian