[sdiy] Connector Quandary

James Coplin james at ticalun.net
Fri Jun 17 04:08:07 CEST 2011

I've had a closer look.  Mine aren't the round wire pins you are talking
about.  Those are for the interconnects between the main pcb and the panel
components.  Those are fine and still ticking along great.  These are the
back connector for interfacing with the rest of the world.  As best I can
tell, they just used solder tail connector pins (kind of a half round thin
metal extension on the pin) and soldered those to the PCB and cut the extra
off.  They are super flimsy and break extremely easily.  I might just go
ahead and put individual .100" pins in and use single circuit connectors.
Alternately, I may just do exactly what they did and count myself lucky if
it lasts another thirty years.  I suspect by the time I'm 70, they will be
trying to get me to downsize and give up my studio anyway.

James R. Coplin
Doctoral Candidate
University of Minnesota
Department of History