[sdiy] Mouser or other US source for Doepfer Headers cable and connectors?

Elby Designs elby_designs at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jan 3 11:48:51 CET 2011

It has been acknowledged by Doepfer that, in retrospect, they should have
used boxed headers. By the time it was realised the benefits of using boxed
headers it was decided that too many customers already had cables that may
not be correctly orientated and it was easier to continue as they have (at
least that is what I was told).

For my Panther family I have gone for the boxed headers which assures that
my end meets the `preferred standard'. Of course, it is still the
responsibility of the user to check that the cables they are using also
follow the `correct' orientation by actually having pin 1 of the socket
aligned with the stripe at both ends.

The scheme you have described would work well for the 10-way header/power
cables but most modules (certainly ALLL of mine) use 16-way headers and so
it would have other problems (as you mentioned). Given the limited number of
modules that use the extra pins it would probably make sense to have a
permanent 10-way power header with an optional, additional, 6-way header for
the extra signals.

Like many things in life the `standard' is dictated by who got there first,
not necessarily which is the best - Microsoft, IBM, Windows first in but
definitely not best dressed!!

Best Regards
Laurie Biddulph
Mobile: 0400 257 645