[sdiy] ESD Wrist Strap?

Sam Ecoff secoff at execpc.com
Sat Jan 1 04:54:58 CET 2011

On Dec 31, 2010, at 9:44 PM, Paul Perry wrote:

> I think the other end goes to the anti-static mat that your equipment is sitting on.
> I don't know where you live.. but, congratulations on having a DRY basement!

Yeah, well, that cost me $9000. Our basement actually flooded in the summer of 2008, which meant having the floor jack hammered and hauled out in 5 gallon buckets, new drain tile laid, and a sump pump retrofitted. We had just paid off our home equity loan a month before. :-(

Anyhow... I don't have an anti-static mat, either. I've always just used a scrap piece of unfinished pine, at first to protect the desk I was working on, but I was told by same same guy who talked to me about wrist straps that the board was actually probably serving to provide at least some ESD protection.