[sdiy] DIY ManCave

BARRY KLEIN barryklein at cox.net
Sun Dec 25 03:41:18 CET 2011

I'm looking for suggestions for implementing my synth mancave....
I'm finally getting a room for my own.  It will house my synths, my photo editing station, and an area where I want to do macro-photography.
It may incorporate some or all of my electronics bench too but I'm not sure - I'm keeping that in the garage for now.
Several years ago a local Sam Ash store went out of business and I bought a bunch of the slat-wall keyboard/shelf brackets.
I don't have slat-wall though - I'd have to buy that.
Now I'm wondering if I want to invest in this or sell the brackets and really minimize the keyboards on display that way and instead use traditional 3 tier or so racks or steel open racks to house them.
I'm also looking for a work desk.  Mine now is a huge heavy oak desk that I'm not going to move upstairs.
I know a 4'x8' folding table does many of you just fine but I'd like to hear suggestions for going forward.
I saw a nice desk at Guitar Center for $300 with an optional rack sidecar thing....
I have the tools to make my own from 3/4" or 1" plywood or whatever.
Is there a forum which everyone has posted photos of their studio you may recommend?
Presently my flooring is carpet.  I'm kinda liking the porcelain flooring that looks like wood.  My room is upstairs and they used crappy wood and it squeeks when you walk on it.
I'm thinking maybe the porcelain would lessen that.

Barry