[sdiy] SSM2040 clone / discrete 'precision' VCA

Justin Owen juzowen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 12:35:16 CET 2011

Hello,

I'd like to start looking at a discrete, precision VCA to pair with the simple little down'n'dirty VCA I've been playing with.

When I say 'precision' - I mean as good as I can get it, better than a single transistor VCA. You can stop laughing now :)

I've been looking at the schematics for Juergen :( and Rene's SSM2040 clone. I know it's a VCF - but am I right in thinking that the section I've marked in red here: http://www.sdiy.org/juz/jh2040_02.jpg and here: http://www.sdiy.org/juz/rs2040_02.jpg is essentially a VCA?

Input is via the 10K resistor into the (inverted?) input of the differential amp pair at the bottom, Output is via the Emitter on the Darlington pair to the right and CV (or current in) is via the common Base at the bottom of the differential amp at the bottom.

Originally I assumed this based on the VCAs used in the traditional SVF schematic and my first quick breadboard of that section had some potential - but now I'm beginning to doubt my initial assumption so I thought I'd ask before I head down a hole.

Any clues? Any suggestions for a better place to start looking? The Blackmer gain cell has also been suggested...

Thanks all.

Justin