[sdiy] MIDI Sys Ex ID $$$?

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Thu Apr 28 00:12:15 CEST 2011

<grant at musictechnologiesgroup.com> wrote:
>Apparently the Midi Manufacturers Assoc people are doing another sweep
>of killing off cottage industry MIDI efforts.  They want $200 (a year)
>from me for a unique manufacturer ID. I'm considering paying it or
>getting out of the game. Alternatively I can find someone with an ID
>that wants to "add one or two devices to their portfolio" by selling off
>some device IDs. Any thoughts?  I can see by your nodding heads that you
>all fork over $200 every year to these guys because you are so darn
>conscientious.  ;-)

Well, probably not an idea you want to hear, but what about a configurable ID?  In
other words, you don't put one in there, you let the user assign it (with a DIP
switch or something similar)?

Daft probably, I know...

In my case, I just picked 7F out of my rear, but I don't or haven't sold anything yet.

-- ScottG
-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- FPGA MIDI Synthesizer Information: home1.gte.net/res0658s/FPGA_synth/
-- FatMan: home1.gte.net/res0658s/fatman/
-- NonFatMan: home1.gte.net/res0658s/electronics/