[sdiy] remsg spectrum analyzer chip

Noah Vawter nvawter at media.mit.edu
Fri Apr 15 01:39:46 CEST 2011

Fclk is specced at: Minin:145kHz, Typical: 165kHz, Max 180  kHz

Since the eq bands are spaced approx 1.33 (log2(2.5)) octaves apart
(ratio of succeeding frequencies is ~=2.5)

so to tune halfway their would be one definition of ideal, so since
the sqrt(2.5) ~= 1.58

and max difference in clock speeds 180/145 ~= 1.24x.  So this gets
about about halfway there to ideal?

It really seems like they have gone out of their way to spec the clock
carefully, so (i'm guessing!) they have tested it at both ends, so
overclocking shouldn't be expected. :( ?

but if you're going digital anyway, perhaps an 8-bit micro could do
this...  especially if its not necessary to provide continuous
information on all 7 channels, but to mux between 7 different sets of
filter coeffs...  only prob would be the highest freq bands as micros
usually have limited a/ds.  e.g. avr wouldn't be best choice, better
suited to DSPic I suppose.