[sdiy] DIY Culture (was TI to buy NatSemi!!!!!)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 10 23:45:06 CEST 2011

On 04/10/2011 09:11 PM, blacet at blacet.com wrote:
> The world population has more than doubled since 1960. Lots more room for
> subcultures. Some may even be larger than the roughly equivalent groups in
> the 1960s.
>
> Look at the ever increasing size of the Mouser and Digi-Key catalogs!
>

>>> I completely disagree, David.  Look around...
>>
>> Yes, you are right, Don.  It just feels more like a subculture now.  Maybe
>> it always was, and I'm just too young to remember it properly.

There is another aspect on things. Today DIY approach is wide-spread
over many different fields. The concept was not originating from
ham-oriented focus as it was maybe more natural before. Nothing bad
about it, just different. I see people doing DIY on many levels from
many backgrounds. DIY is part of the electronica/EAM world among other
things, people hack away on things. Building modular is much more
accessible today (Doepfer for instance has good value for the money),
even for musicians with close to no electronic skills, but then they
want to try something themselves too. With kits such as xoxbox it levels
the field. Kits where certainly available before too, but Internet helps
spreading the word. Providing alternative OSes for more features is just
one amazing aspect compared to the old days. It's accessible today, so
people do it.

What do worry me is not the DIY aspect, but access to components
allowing for meaningful DIY or even production analogue synthesizers.

Cheers,
Magnus