[sdiy] Inverting Amplifier as a Buffer Output.

David G. Dixon dixon at interchange.ubc.ca
Fri Jun 25 05:45:21 CEST 2010

Harry, in almost any other case, I'd totally agree with you.  However, in
the specific case of pitch-determining CVs, I really must insist that the
"inny" resistor is better.  It doesn't take much offset to create a
noticeable tuning error.

Concerning the layout issue, this is a manifestation of how I do all my
analog layouts: ICs in a line with the rails running underneath, one row of
"free" pads next to the IC pins (where any stability capacitors are placed),
then all resistors, diodes, etc., bent to 0.4" long and arrayed
perpendicular to the IC pins with space for as many as three traces running
in parallel underneath as required, then another "free" row of pads (where
any off-board connectors are placed).  In this way, all my boards are either
2.1" wide or 4" wide (for two rows of ICs).

In the case of "A" (the "outty" resistor), I would require a jumper to
return feedback resistors from the negative input to the opamp output, and
then another 1k resistor in parallel to that jumper to connect to the output
connector at the edge of the board.  In the case of "B" (the "inny"
resistor), that jumper is replaced by the "inny" resistor itself, and the
output is taken directly from the junction of the feedback resistor and the
"inny" resistor, which is naturally located at the outer edge of the board.
Each time I do this, my board loses one 0.4" jumper and gets 0.1" shorter.