[sdiy] I2C DAC

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue Jun 22 11:53:01 CEST 2010

The main effect of the oversampling as far as I understand it is to
move the DAC convertor quantization noise further out of band. If
you've got a 48KHz sampling frequency, the quantization noise is a
nasty looking ramp-like waveform at that frequency. Whilst you can
filter that out reasonably well with post-DAC filtering, it's a lot
more effective if you interpolate and increase the sample rate so
that the quantization noise is at a higher frequency.

So, no, you don't gain any data, but you do reduce the noise.

HTH,
Tom