[sdiy] MIDI too fast?

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh1 at cox.net
Wed Jun 16 20:59:51 CEST 2010

On 06/16/2010 11:33 AM, Antti Huovilainen wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Paul Cunningham wrote:
>
>> does anyone manufacture a UART chip that has its own internal buffer
>> ram? -pc
>
> The common 16550 has 16 byte input and output FIFO buffers.
> Of course, these days any external UARTs are redundant as
> microcontrollers have builtin ones

With an on-chip UART, the dsPIC we used on the Modcan 63 is so quick
that it usually had the messages parsed and data structures updated
before the final stop bit was complete. One bit period in MIDI is 32us
and the processor runs at 23.5MHz which gives ~752 instructions per MIDI
bit. These are not your father's microcontrollers.

Eric