[sdiy] AM8060 - Jupiter 6 SVF

rob at emulatorarchive.com rob at emulatorarchive.com
Sun Jun 6 12:50:01 CEST 2010

Hi
The IR3109 in SMD form has been replicated using LM13700 SMD chips in
the Analog Rennaissance 80017A replacement for the Juno106.
In particular the expo response was carefully analysed, which is
obviously an important charcteristic. Other clones such as the Synth
Restore version probably use the same approach.

If you go back to the introduction of the IR3109 in the Jupiter 4 mid
production in 1981, you can see it replaces 4x BA662 OTA chips in the
original 1978 version. The external circuitry is similar in both
filters, the IR3109 is a set of matched 4x BA662 chips on one die. The
BA662 OTA filter in the Jupiter 4 is based on the CA3080 version in the
Roland 700, and you can see the 4 pole OTA filter in Rolands mono synths
from 1978 - 1981. The Oakley COTA filter is a replica of this design
using LM13700 chips. It would be interesting to know how similar in
sound the COTA and SH-1 filters are.

The resonance feedback loop is usally via a BA662 on the polyphonic
designs, but in mono synths it is a simple potentiometer with two diodes
acting as voltage limiters preventing feedback runaway. The JP-6 SVF
makes use of this diode voltage limiter in the 2nd 2-pole OTA feedback
stage. Roland certainly had problems with clipping at high resonance in
Unison mode with the IR3109 and introduced the IR3R05 into the MKS80
REV5 to address this.

So of course its possible to use LM13700 or BA6110 OTA chips to build
the JP-6 SVF. And I have a BA6110 version on the way.
Will they sound and respond the same? With care around the expo CV
circuits for frequency and resonance, probably.

Regards - Rob
www.amsynths.co.uk