[sdiy] Looking for Advice in spending a few hundred dollars ondesoldering technologies.

David G. Dixon dixon at interchange.ubc.ca
Sun May 31 18:29:16 CEST 2009

Loscha,

I use a $15 Chinese plastic plung-o-matic solder sucker.  In addition to the
occasional boo-boo, I've depopulated several very dense boards with it, and
it works like a charm.  The only caveat is that you have to plunge it
(preferably over a rubbish bin) every time you plunge, but once you get into
the rhythm of it, you can suck about 10 pads per minute.

If you have a fetish about spending money on fancy doo-dads, then by all
means fork over $200+ for the gun, but if you just want to suck solder off
of pads to recover parts, the plastic plung-o-matic is really all you need.

Cheers,
Dave

David G. Dixon
Professor
Department of Materials Engineering
University of British Columbia
309-6350 Stores Road
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4
Canada

Tel 1-604-822-3679
Fax 1-604-822-3619

"PERFECTA FINGAMUS SERVIAT NATURA"

intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).  It
must not be disclosed to any person without the writer's authority.  If you
are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to
the intended recipient, you are not authorized to and must not disclose,
copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it.