[sdiy] Looking for Advice in spending a few hundred dollars on desoldering technologies.

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Sun May 31 08:41:12 CEST 2009

Quoth Loscha at 2009-05-31 15:15...
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200340544449
>
>  Has anyone had experience with this Seller's item? It's "Virtual
> Village". I've gotten an EPROM eraser, some cables, a few other bits
> and bobs from them, and they've been fine.
> Item is a gun type soldering sucker; About $175au delivered.

I do note that it's 220V, the old European voltage, not 240V, the
UK/Aussie standard.

More recent equipment is generally 230V with a wide voltage tolerance so
that it will run on both 220V and 240V supplies.  (The original idea was
to move the two supply voltages to 230V, but don't see that ever happening.)

If this equipment is 220V, you might be operating it out of tolerance
running it on Aussie 240V and thus run into problems.

Personally, I would steer clear of buying any mains electrical equipment
from China unless it has the appropriate approvals for the destination
country.

I have a sucker gun that I bought from either Farnell or RS Australia
about 5 years ago.  Seem to recall that being about $160 or so.  Can't
say that I've ever been terribly impressed with it.  It's no good for
unsoldering double-sided boards - better off with a regular iron and
braid or a regular iron and a better quality spring-loaded manual solder
sucker.

If I had my time again, unless I were in a repair workshop where I had
to do a LOT of de-soldering, I'd stick with braid or my manual sucker.
If I WERE doing enough to justify having the equipment, I'd go for a
known brand, more expensive, and one that can do SMD as well.

If you want my old one, I'm sure that I could be persuaded to part with
it for somewhat less than that eBay one.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business:      http://www.smiffytech.com/
Blog/personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/