[sdiy] favorite adsr?

Dave Kendall davekendall at ntlworld.com
Fri May 29 15:45:17 CEST 2009

If expression is your thing, I'd recommend a VC ADSR. There is a nice
trick you can pull with a velocity CV patched to the ATTACK CV, and set
up so that with increasing velocity, the attack time gets shorter, as
well as louder/brighter. Adds some real life into a lead patch. Works
extremely well on polysynth pads too. There is a factory patch on the
Korg MS2000 which uses a triangle or sine wave LFO to modulate the
DECAY/RELEASE times, in conjunction with an arpeggiator. Sounds nice,
and adds a lot of evolving interest to the arpeggio.

For bread-and-butter envelope shaping, a regular ADSR is fine, but I
always like the option of being able to control envelope times
dynamically for when a bit of extra life is needed, or for changing the
feel and tightness of a patch, by altering the main VCA decay/release
times where needed during the song (without having to remember to
twiddle knobs at exactly the right moment).

(my £0.02)  :-)

cheers,
Dave