[sdiy] cleaning flux

Amos controlvoltage at gmail.com
Thu May 28 01:03:58 CEST 2009

I'd try a pharmacy first.  I don't think I've seen 100% isopropyl
available "over the counter" but my local drugstore has 93% or so,
which works fine for cleaning flux.  They tend to have distilled water
also (I recommend reverse osmosis). My preferred tool for getting
hard-to-remove flux out from between IC pins and such, is a small and
stiff natural-bristle brush of the sort commonly known as an "acid
brush."  I trimmed the bristles down very short (1/4" or so) to make
them as stiff as I wanted.  Here is a link to the type of brush I'm
describing:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=360-368

Cheers,

Amos