[sdiy] cleaning flux

Tom Arnold xyzzy at sysabend.org
Thu May 28 00:58:48 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 03:05:38PM -0700, Danjel van Tijn wrote:
> I am embarrassed to say that I have never cleaned the flux off of pcbs
> I have assembled. I didn't find out about the necessity until
> recently.
> As a result I need a few supplies like 100% isopropyl alcohol and pure
> distilled water.  What kind of store would usually carry these items?
> Home Depot?

I use 100% denatured alcohol, which is available at any place like Home
Despot and the like.  As far as water goes, you can buy distilled water at
any grocery store.    If you have boards with all sealed parts on them,
Harbor Freight sells a fairly large ultrasonic cleaner for $40 or so.  I'll
clean a board ( when I do clean boards ) in the cleaner using distilled
water and Simply Green, then a rinse with plain distilled water.  I only use
alcohol for spot touch-ups when the board isn't fully sealed or I can't
remove it.  To get the gunk/flux off you really need a Flow of fluid to wash
it away which is wasteful with alcohol.

Fun/True story, at the lab we used the high-proof Everclear back when it was
available as it was cheaper then anything else for some reason.  Almost made
you cry to wash a board down...

 - Tom Arnold       -  Free Synth DIY webspace http://www.sdiy.org
 - SynthGeek        -
 - BBD Fanatic      -  "...is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?"
 - echo evho wjxo   -    Juanita Shrugs. "What's the difference?"