[sdiy] cleaning flux

Seb Francis seb at burnit.co.uk
Thu May 28 00:57:52 CEST 2009

Danjel van Tijn wrote:
> I am embarrassed to say that I have never cleaned the flux off of pcbs
> I have assembled. I didn't find out about the necessity until
> recently.
> As a result I need a few supplies like 100% isopropyl alcohol and pure
> distilled water.  What kind of store would usually carry these items?
> Home Depot?

Best thing is to get a proper flux remover that will be suitable for the
type of solder you use.  I like the spray dispenser with built in brush
.... very quick and easy.

This company makes a good range:
http://www.chemtronics.com/products/americas/e/flux_removers.asp

The one I use is this one which works well on pretty much any flux type:
http://www.chemtronics.com/products/product.asp?id=6

Available from places like Farnell, etc.

Seb

P.S. You could also just use water soluble ('organic') flux and wash off
with warm water.