[sdiy] converting a 10v p to p to a 0-5 volt signal

David G. Dixon dixon at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu May 21 01:41:02 CEST 2009

> You can't limit the instantaneous amplitude of a real-time input without
> risking some form of distortion.  You could use some sort of companding
> circuit, but it's still going to clip on extreme transients, plus it will
> mess up your scaling for CVs.

> > this is why maybe David's method of going 1vptop is a good idea.
> >
> > however i think i would need some heavier boosting on the way out
> because when i have tried such a small to PtoP i have gotten nill on the
> output.

Just for clarity, because I sent it personally to Dan and not to the list,
my idea was to reduce the signal to about 1V peak to peak and use that as
the input to the ADC.  I don't think it matters to the ADC what the input
voltage range is; the accuracy is still just a function of bit resolution,
is it not?  Plus, if the incoming signal is only limited to about the range
of safety of the ADC, then that precludes adding signals together.  However,
if the division is more severe (like 1/10 or 1/20) then several signals
could be added together and it would still never reach the 5V limit.