[sdiy] converting a 10v p to p to a 0-5 volt signal

David G. Dixon dixon at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed May 20 20:50:42 CEST 2009

(Warning: the Professor in me is coming out again...)

After following this thread today, I conclude that a good many people on
this list would benefit from some serious face-time with a good book on
opamp theory.  Here is a short list of excellent books:

"Operational Amplifiers" by Steve Winder and George Clayton, Newnes.

This book goes DEEP into the theory and the mathematics of opamp circuits,
and is a bit of a standard text for courses on the subject in Britain, I
believe.  This one will keep you busy for a few months!

"Operational Amplifiers and Linear Integrated Circuits" by R.F. Coughlin and
F.F. Driscoll, Prentice-Hall.

This is the best book I've found by far for the sheer number and usefulness
of the various circuits it contains, and its explanations of how they work.
I refer to this one again and again when I'm in design mode, and it can be
had for as little as $4 on Amazon!

"The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, Cambridge.

This is a must-have for anyone who is serious about electronics, and its
large chapter on opamps does not disappoint.  It also contains an exhaustive
list of opamp characteristics which is very useful.