[sdiy] converting a 10v p to p to a 0-5 volt signal

Tim Parkhurst tim.parkhurst at gmail.com
Wed May 20 02:56:23 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Dan Snazelle <subjectivity at hotmail.com> wrote:

> So i am looking for a input block that can take either
> 5vp to p or 10v p to p (or any synth signal)
> and spit it out as a 0-5 signal without squaring the top.

Hi Dan,

Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I've been
thinking of an input stage that will automatically sense and switch
gain & offset to compensate for the differences between a 0 to 10V
signal (like from an EG) and a -5 to +5V signal (like from an LFO).
Essentially, the circuit would simply monitor the input and switch to
monopolar mode (0 to +10V) if the input goes above 6V, or switch to
bipolar mode (-5 to +5V) if the signal goes below -1V. The switching
thresholds could maybe be tweaked a bit, but I think the basic
principle is sound. I haven't designed any of this, so I don't know if
the extra complexity would be worth it or not. Any thoughts?

Tim (monopolar mode today) Servo
--
"Sire, the church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers."
- H.L. Hastings