[sdiy] Simple 'plug and play' transistor tester

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Mon May 18 23:59:22 CEST 2009

Quoth Justin Owen at 2009-05-19 04:25...
> Can anyone suggest or recommend a simple/decent, (NPN 2N3904) transistor tester schematic or tool?
>
> Ideally I'd like something where I can just stick the transistor into a socket and be done...

I have a Peak Atlas Component Analyser. It's a little blue thing with a
2-line LCD, three leads with test clips and 2 buttons.

Clip it onto transistors (junction, FET,) diodes, diode arrays and the
like.  It tells you what type of component (like: junction transistor,
diode, etc) you have connected and its parameters.  That's assuming the
component isn't broken - a cooked transistor often comes up as "diode or
diode junction."

Very hand for reverse-engineering circuits when components have
unreadable numbers.

I've been very happy with it and don't recall it being that expensive.

English device (as you may have guessed from 'analyser' with an 's',)
not sure who carries them outside the UK.  Think I might have got mine
from Farnell.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business:      http://www.smiffytech.com/